Saturday, August 28, 2010

Topic Train!

I’ll start off today’s blog by asking a simple question. Has anyone ever had a good experience at the Paris Charles de Gaul airport? I’ve flown domestically and internationally out of the CDG airport and each time the experience is beyond poor. I’ll skip the details because there are far more exciting topics to discuss, but please do share your thoughts on CDG.

I’ve only been in Barcelona for half a day, but already so much to talk about!! Where to start!!

Taxi drivers – while they don’t drive Mercedes as they do in Paris, taxi drivers in Barcelona are a lot friendlier (not to mention cheaper!!). My driver chatted the entire ride into the city, talking of topics from the economy to the fact that Shakiria is now living in Barcelona. He also made sure to tell me there is a great disco across the street from my hotel!

Sidewalks – I don’t know why, but I love that there are sidewalks on the side AND middle of the larger roads.

Dogs – Last time I was in Barcelona we noticed that most dogs in the city were not on a leash, something you’d never see in the States. As we travel more and more we realize this is the norm in Europe. So far today however, I’ve seen about 10 dogs and every one was on a leash.

Dinner – My hotel is about 6 blocks from the hotel Brian and I stayed in two years ago, and I was determined to have dinner at the little restaurant half a block from our hotel. I made my way there (without a map!) and to my disappointment, the once authentic restaurant with the most amazing paella had been replaced with a tourist bar with pictures of the food for a menu. I sat down anyway, and even though they didn’t have paella I did have three of my favorites, Estrella Damm, chorizo boccadillo, and calamares. All for 7.80 euro!!! Can’t beat it!


Wedding Dress Capital – For those who don’t know, Barcelona is where Brian proposed and because of that maybe I noticed more than ever how many wedding dresses are displayed in shop windows. I’ve been to my share of cities and I swear Barcelona has more than the average number of bridal shops. I noticed it again tonight, as I walked to dinner I must have passed at least 5 shops in a matter of 6 blocks.
Paris Hilton (yes, Paris Hilton) - I find it wrong that Paris Hilton’s arrest with cocaine charges is discussed every 5 minutes on CNN and SkyNews, in between news such as the Prime Minister’s new baby daughter and Glenn Beck’s rally. Paris Hilton’s name should never be spoken on any respectable news station and is it me, or do you think she wanted to get caught to compete with Lindsay Lohan’s drama? I am however very pleased they have English speaking channels. Again, something that was rare in my two Paris hotels.

Hotel – my hotel is fantastic, very contemporary, spacious and has all the amenities. Just one problem. As I was sitting on my bed catching up on the evening news I started to hear a buzzing sound coming from outside. I look out and notice a spotlight that is located directly below my window has turned on. Apparently there my room is located directly below, or next to, a very important sign outside that must be lit up at night. I kid you not, I feel like Kramer on that Seinfeld episode where the red light from the Chicken sign shines into his room and drives him crazy. Look at this picture! It is 10pm and no lights on inside my room. Hopefully the light gets turned off around midnight? One can hope…





No comments:

Post a Comment