Saturday, September 18, 2010

Upgraded Airline Tickets...Are they really worth it?

This is the second time I unknowingly booked a “Premium” ticket from Paris to Barcelona. Mind you, this “Premium” ticket is not first class and is not business class. It’s the lowest of priority seating you can get, and as far as the actual seats on the plane it just means you’re within the front 15 rows and get a slightly upgraded meal. The seats themselves however are exactly the same as Economy. No word on how much more this “Premium” ticket cost from Economy but I will tell you what perks it offers.

1. You skip the long lines at check-in and security and go right through at a specially marketed section for priority ticket holders. On the perk scale I’ll give this 5 stars.

2. A “Priority” tag on your luggage. Because so many people are considered “Priority” on one level or another, this tag does absolutely nothing and I’m convinced the workers in charge of transporting the bags ignore it completely. Both flights I was close to the last person to retrieve my Priority Tagged Bag. Perk Scale = 0 stars





3. A ticket into the Air France Lounge. Perk Scale = 5 (If you actually use it). During my first trip I couldn’t actually find it to even considering going in, but this time my gate was situated right next to the escalator leading down to the lounge. I thought about it, and call me crazy, but I kind of want to save the experience of the lounge area until I actually deserve it. I’m 26, on a multi-city European business trip experiencing top rate hotels, food, even went to a bbq in the mountains outside of Barcelona at what had to be a 3+ million dollar home. I feel incredibly lucky to be experiencing the things I am, so why not save this one little thing until I actually book and pay for my own first class ticket. A real first class ticket. Similar to my opinion on Louis Vuitton handbags. Sure I can go out and buy one (and a lot of people do), but I want to save this purchase for a time when I can really afford to go drop 1-2k on something and not feel it in the pocket. I’m confident the day will come when I’ll walk into an airline lounge holding my Louis Vuitton…but that day wasn’t today.

2 comments: